Rainy and cold days are hard on children, both my kids are very active and are happiest playing outside and having lots of fun, tumbling around and riding their bicycles. Therefore, in order to minimise carnage on rainy or cold days I always have at least one activity that we can do that can keep them busy for a certain amount of time. So this is my list of indoor fun activities.
HAVING FUN WITH THE KIDS
- Cooking – most children love the process of creating food, my boys love food full stop, and so learning to make it was the next logical step. Of course, you MUST keep in mind all the safety and precautions but you can allowyour children to help wash vegetables, to place them into the tray that will g o into the oven , to help you marinade and spice the meat you are about to grill etc. This can really be a fun and teachable experience for them? It doesn’t have to be a big meal even making popcorn together for activity number 5 will be loved.
- Baking– just like cooking a meal – most kids love baking because it results in edible sugary goodness who can say no to that. You can follow a kiddies recipe book or you can use one of those prepacked baking kits they include most of the ingredients as well as an icing kit. Check out our Pinterest board on baking ideas with kids to find some inspiration.
- Building a fort using sheets and furniture– for some reason my boys love this, I am not sure why maybe it’s the opportunity to exercise their imagination or it’s the thought of being able to scare each other witless and scream? Who know but it can keep them going for hours. For mom: just relax, throw away the idea that your house has to be tidy and enjoy the chaos
- Taking photographs – kids love electronics, one of the ways I have found is TRYING showing my kids how to take photographs. For the older boy, we are at the stage where we are talking about how to take clear pictures and focus them and review them afterwards. Well the 2 year well we are winding our way through press here and him running away with the camera or iPhone as he wants to be the only one taking the pics
- Lying in a heap with lots of blankets watching an animated movies while copious amounts of food and drinks surround us and I pretend to be watching a movie I have seen 20 times already, while I am really reading my book on the kindle
For some baking with kids ideas, take a look at our Pinterest board
What do you spend time doing on rainy, or cold days in the house, with your busy kids?? I would love more ideas, please comment