Packing Tips from a regular traveller
Travel is an equally exciting and draining activity. I thought I would share my essentials for packing for an overnight trip.
When talking about travel, one of the things most of us struggle with, is the ability to pack lightly but with enough choice that you can be ready for any change in plans. So I thought I would start with a simple overnight business trip. Details: leaving the night before, sleeping at a hotel, attending meetings and flying home that afternoon.
My Travel Packing Tips
WHERE TO START?
- Choose the right size bag, consider how far you have to walk in the airport, etc. for instance I know Cape Town Airport is alway a walk to car rental So I either carry case with wheels or a small bag that’s not heavy. I love this leather look weekender bag; it has various compartments that work well as a laptop bag also
My other favourite bag is the purple 4 wheeled cabin sized suitcase (pictured in the main post image)
The third bag is made by local South African bag creator, Thandana and Co from the town of Durban, which I won from a Giveaway on one of my favourite lifestyle blog AskAshe. The bag is lightweight and large enough to carry a weeks clothing, I even took it on our trip to the USA, for the extras shopping items, I might have bought there.
2. Start with the end in mind – ask yourself: why am I going there and pack an outfit for that purpose, then pack one backup easy outfit e.g. a dress. In my case I have a session I’m facilitating and I always believe you dress well for work.
My example: I am packing a lace dress from EDIT bought from spree.coza and this brocade style summer coat from TRUWORTHS, one of my best buys ever as its so easy to dress up and down and looks elegant. I will team it up with this mock crock heels that I bought 3 years on sale at FOSCHINI, again a great buy.
3. OTHER ITEMS
Next I pack everything else I need
- An extra easy to wear dress in case of change in weather
- A small cosmetic bag with essentials
- Some bath itemsIntimate/sleepwear
I use the GO Travel Case Tidy, I bought at Dischem to separate and order my packing. There are 3 soft cases inside in different size
- I used the largest for my coat and dress
- Second for shoes
- Lastly all other items there was still space to put my special blend of bio oil lotion and bath essentials, sleep wear, etc
I then pack all 3 in my overnight bag, leaving space for my laptop, power cord, notebook and mouse on the last pocket. Now I’m ready to go, There are of course, items that go into my handbag for easy access but that we will cover in another post,
I would love to know your tips for business travel packing, and what are your thoughts of this how to guide