As humans, it seem we luxuriate in being to tell others about how busy our lives are, we love sharing stories about how we just don’t have time to do anything – some of the things we don’t get to include, sharing a smile and a joke with our children, calling a friend, sending a message of encouragement, popping in to see someone, finishing a project that would really do us some good or even telling our spouses we love them. There are many of these moments that we miss while we are busy.
I have noticed recently that I have fallen completely into that pool of busy-ness, so 2 weeks ago while for the 15 minutes that I was sitting quietly in the Gautrain on my way to work, I decided to do something about it.
While sitting in the train, every morning, I write down a non-work related to-do list of things I have to accomplish that day; Then I schedule time in my daily Planner for “connection“, 30 minutes anywhere in my day in which I accomplish the following:
- I send a WhatsApp message to my husband, my nanny, my sister, a friend, my mom
- Send an email to any of the above and others
- Call home so I can talk to my 17 months old son
- Write a to-do list of all the things I need to do for the homeSo stop it’s good for you
- How do you stay connected??? Share your story with me.
- Now, none of these might seem like a lot, but that 30 min stop, refreshes my mind, it’s like a mental break from work, and by the time I go back to the task at hand, I can think clear again.