I cannot believe it is already the 4th week of this year and we are talking about spending (we all like a bit of spend, spend spend now and again). Time flies when you are busy and I have been busy. The start of the school and getting ready, starting work and being organised for this year, busy with updates and rework on my blog, busy with the branding work I am doing… hopefully this all means it is going to be a good year, productive and fulfilling. Let’s see how it goes!
For this week’s tasks, I had to re-examine my spending habits to see what I pay attention to.
What is interesting about this activity is that I was already in full swing with it in preparation for my 2016 monthly Blog Series “Life ReDesign”, one of the areas we will be paying attention to is our finances. Last year I had the pleasure of attending an event hosted by Liberty where the expert discussion focused on how women do not take care of their money and end up overly spending because of many reasons and do not save for their futures properly (READ HERE). It was very exciting for me to see these 2 projects that I am busy with this year dovetail on this topic.
While going through my spending list (and redoing my budget) I realised there is a recurring theme of things I am always spending money on:
- Household Expenses (Car, Fuel etc.) – Being an adult is very expensive
- Nappies for TheMelo (we are still potty training)
- Monthly School Fees (TheHeir better be a professor after he finishes primary school – the cost of education is too high)
- TheHeir’s extra mural activities (So the cost of school fees is high but so is everything else that goes with it) I call these the school accessories
- Child Care expenses (TheMelo has a fulltime nanny – a great lady)
- Weekly Fresh Fruit and Veggies Shopping (The kids annihilate these on a weekly basis, so every week we have to replenish, I guess this is a good problem to have)
- Books and Stationery (I love reading, I am always buying books and I have a SLIGHT obsession with stationery – I buy a lot of it. I am working on this problem.
- Clothes, Clothes (For me and the boys). You see, I kinda like clothes, and shoes and bags – and I like my boys to look good, it is a problem
- Travel (I mostly travel for business – but I have noticed that when you are away from home the urge to shop is stronger)
- Self-Investment (My blog, TheDesignInc) – This is my future it is worth the investment
- Skin Care and Hair Products (Because I am Worth it)
- Entertainment (We love having people over, they eat, we feed them, and they do us when we visit them)
- Savings and Donations (My future and other people’s future)
- Our Home & Décor (I live there so…….)
Spending on my mind
This is not an exhaustive list, but I was interested in how the items above say a lot of about what I am willing to invest my hard earned cash on – a nice way to focus my attention. This was a useful exercise for me.I also noticed that the things I spend money on according to my budget, are also the things that feature strongly in my blog categories (is that a coincidence?).
I also noticed that the things I spend money on according to my budget, are also the things that feature strongly in my blog categories (is that a coincidence?).
Are you relooking at your finances, and spending habits?
I am looking forward to going on this journey with you. Let me know what you think.
You can check out the other weeks post’s below